Most people around the world care about how their hair looks. People in the United States are not immune to this. It has been estimated that each month, more than 100 million people in that country will go to a salon. About 59 million Americans treated themselves to four haircuts or more in 2016. When it comes to their hair maintenance, the typical American woman spends about three hours every week washing, drying and styling their hair. Here are some things you can do to keep your hair looking and feeling great.
- Take care of your health. When your body is healthy, your hair will be healthy and happy as well. The food you eat has a big impact on the health of your hair. If you are dealing with health issues, you may see that impact your hair. This means, the more attention you pay to your overall health, the better your hair will look and feel. Get regular check ups with your doctor. Deal with your stress level. Get healthy to get healthy hair.
- Protect your hair from chlorine. Many people like to swim to get and stay healthy (it is a great way to exercise all of the muscles in your body) but it can be hard on your hair. The best hair maintenance tip for swimmers is to protect your hair while swimming. You can get a swim cap to wear in the pool. You can also get a good conditioner than you put in before you hit the water. If you swim in salt water, that can also damage your hair and the same advice applies.
- Get sunscreen for your hair. The rays from the sun can do a lot of damage to your skin and your hair. While the damage to your hair will not cause it to peel or hurt, your hair can be damaged just the same. It can become dry and prone to breakage. It can also do a lot of damage to your hair color. If you can, put on a hat to protect it. There are also shampoos and conditioners you can get with a high SPF to keep your hair protected from the sun when you cannot wear a hat.
- Be careful with pony tails. Putting your hair up in a pony tail can be a great way to deal with longer hair. They look put together when we may not feel we are. An important hair maintenance tip that many people may not think of is to take care when you do this. If you make it too tight, you can pull your hair out. When people go to sleep with their hair in a pony tail, it can put a lot of pressure on your scalp and that should be avoided.
- Give your scalp some love and attention. You need a healthy scalp to have healthy and happy hair. Experts say people should use a deep, moisturizing masks on their scalps about every seven days.This will make your hair look great and your scalp will feel even better.
- Pay attention to what you are putting on your hair. You should try to avoid hair products that have a lot of harsh chemicals in them. Things like odium laureth sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate and ammonium lauryl sulfate can do a lot of damage to your hair so they should be avoided when possible. Organic hair products have much better and more natural ingredients that can help your hair look great.
- Protect your hair from appliances. Many people love to use curling irons, straightening irons and hair dryers. It may cost a little more but higher quality tools will be better for your hair’s health and look. Pay attention and treat your hair better when you are using these tools. Blow drying can be a lot harder on your hair than you may think so if you can let your hair dry naturally, even only a few days a week, can really help the look and feel of your hair.
Great looking hair is something most of us want. The good news is that proper hair maintenance does not have to cost a lot or take a ton of time.