Most Americans love getting flowers. At least 65% of Americans say that getting flowers make them feel special. As many as 80% of people admit that receiving flowers makes them happy and 88% say they feel that way when they give flowers. Looking and smelling flowers make about 69% of people feel better in terms of their mood. If you have received a bouquet from the local florist, you probably want to keep them looking good for as long as possible. Here are some ways to do just that:
- Start with a sterile vase. You need the vase into which you place your delivery from the florist to be as clean as possible. Bacteria that gets into your bouquets can really decrease the length of time that they look great. There are several ways to clean your vases. You can wash it with hot water and soap but if you want to really get the vase sterile, you will use bleach. The cleaner you get your vase, the better.
- Your flowers need new water every day. The single best way to keep the florist delivery looking bright and fresh is to keep the water fresh. Every day, you should switch out the water. Throughout the day, you should keep an eye on the water level. Flowers love water so the more of them that you have, the more water you are going to need. If you are not sure how much water your flowers need, some do require more than others, talk to the florist.
- Use filtered water. Most municipalities add a lot to the tap water. While tap water is going to work just fine for most cut flowers, the addition of fluoride and chlorine is not great for others. Some plants and flowers just do better when they are put in filtered water. If you are not sure what the best water is for your flowers, call the florist and ask. Many people have refrigerators that produce great filtered water, if you have that, you may just want to use that for your cut flowers.
- Take care when you cut the stems. When you first get your floral arrangement from the florist, you will want to cut the stems on a diagonal. That increases the surface area that can take in water. You will want to redo this every day. You do not want to cut much, just the very end. Some florists recommend cutting the stems, with very sharp scissors, under running water to help the flowers deal with it.
- Feed your flowers. There is a reason that florists put a food packet in with the floral arrangements that they sell. The food packet has nutrients that can help your cut flowers look fresh and beautiful for a longer period of time. The packet from the florist has something to maintain the proper pH of the water, sugars to feed the plant and some bleach to kill any bacteria in the water. Use a little at a time, put in every day when you change out the water. If you did throw away the food packet from the florist, fear not. You can whip up some flower food at home. Just mix water with citrus juice, sugar and some bleach. You can get the same results from your homemade flower food as you would get from the store made variety. This is also a good thing to do if you cut flowers from your own garden or yard.
- Be careful when you are placing your flowers. You do not want to put them in direct sunlight. In fact, any way that you can keep them cool will help keep flowers looking fresh. Your flowers do not belong on your mantle for your fireplace, for instance. Some people will put their floral arrangements in the refrigerator at night or when they are at work. You should also keep them away from fruit, which gives off certain chemicals as it ripens that will speed up the deterioration of your flowers.
Everyone loves to get flowers. Even men say they like to get them for Valentine’s Day. These tips will help you keep your floral arrangements looking great for longer.
Trackback from your site.