For many people, when they buy furniture, it is one of the most expensive purchases they will ever make. For many people, these purchases rank just behind buying a home and buying a car in terms of how much they will spend. The furniture industry in the United States is a big one. In 2013, it generated approximately $101.41 billion in sales. For people who buy high end furniture, taking proper care of it is an important task. Never is this more true than when dealing with leather furniture, which needs some care and feeding to keep it looking like new for longer.
- Dust it often. To keep leather upholstery looking great, it is important to take a clean, dry rag or cloth and wipe the leather on a regular basis. This should only take a few minutes and will make a big difference. By wiping the leather sofas and other furniture with a dry towel, you remove any dust. It is important to keep your high end furniture free from dust as much as you can.
- Deal with spills as soon as possible. Leather is a very resilient material. It is possible to stain it so if do spill anything on it, it is important that you wipe that up as soon as you can. You can use a clean and dry towel, rag or cloth to get rid of whatever you spilled. You will want to use something that can absorb as much of the liquid as is possible. If there is any stain left after you have removed the spill, take a very lightly damp cloth and wipe the area. You want to use as little water as you can get away with when you are cleaning your leather furniture. Always dry the affected area after you have gotten rid of the spill and stain.
- Vacuum the furniture. This is something you can do on all of your high end furniture, whether it is leather or not. The crevices of all of your furniture can attract dust and other debris or dirt. For your leather Italian sofas and chairs, you should remove any cushions. Take your vacuum hose accessory to remove any dirt from the area under the cushions and in any crevices. How often you need to do this will depend on the living conditions of your home and the area where you live. If you live in a most dusty area or have pets, you may want to do this more often.
- Condition your leather. You can buy a conditioner from the store where you bought your high end furniture or you can get it online. Unlike other kinds of upholstery, you need to take some time to condition leather. Using the products that are designed to keep leather looking and feeling great will help prevent it from cracking or drying out. This is very important to keeping leather furniture looking great. Experts in caring for leather say that people should do this once or twice a year.
- Never use soap and water on your leather furniture. These can be very damaging to the leather and can cause it to dry out or develop cracks. If you are trying to remove a stain from your high end furniture, you should only use products that were developed to be used on leather products. To do otherwise can result in a bigger problem than the one you were trying to solve.
- Do not place your leather furniture in the sun. When you are placing your fine Italian leather furniture around the rooms in your home, make sure you do not place it in direct sunlight, if you can. The light from the sun will fade your furniture and will cause it to dry out.
- Use a microfiber cloth on scratches. You can buff away any small scratches that you find on your leather furniture. It is normal for all leather products to develop small scratches or cracks. Using a microfiber cloth can remove these easily. Massage the area with the cloth until you get the result you want.
Leather furniture can be luxurious and last a long time if you care for it properly.
Trackback from your site.